Hi all after lots of very confusing research about what obd 1 or 2, different laws for USA and EU /UK and what years these laws came into force, I have now found and bought a Fault code reader that is made specifically for ALL petrol BMW'S from 1986 to 2003 that's capable of reading ALL fault codes and resetting service/ inspection lights it comes with both round 20 pin socket ( E36 obd1) and the latter 16 pin socket. I've just tried this reader on my E36 328i coup 1997, and it works fine straight away, although I have no warning lights showing and i dont have any problems (fingers crossed ) the code reader confirmed my car was fine as expected. I bought the code reader just in case and to keep ready if needed. the code reader i can now recommend is the , GUNSON 77083 I bought on line at Amazon cost £65.00 free delivery cost a bit more that the ordinary obd2 scanners that supposed to do all cars except our UK e36's but i think its money well spent and could easily save pounds . I hope this is a good help to at least some of you lot out there
I had an OBDII already so after reading your post about an adapter, I searched for that. Found it on e-bay for about $16 which included free shipping...got it and ....Yaayyyy!.... it even allowed me to reset my service light. Thankfully I am showing no codes. Thanks for the leader on there is an adapter.
I see you paid $16 so i assume your in the USA? If so it seems your Federal law made all cars obd 2 I think around 1966ish, but here in the UK this was not brought in until 2001 so our e36's wont work with the normal obd2 scanner's even with the adaptor. All this was very confusing with all the many scanners on the market, but the one i mentioned is ok and works on our Uk e36's ..... glad to hear you have no issues with your car, but its handy having the tools at hand if needed
I recently bought another unit which gets more specific. It is a Peake Scan tester and can buy one that is for through 1995 and/or 1996 to 2001. It reads codes scans and has other trouble shooting features and plugs directly into the BMW 'round' plug. I got mine on e-bay for $139.95.
I looked at those Peak scan testers too they look and sound pretty good, just thought they was a bit expensive, I ended up with the Gunson 77083 code reader this according to Gunson has been developed specifically for BMW's built between 1986 and 2003 connects to both e36 20 pin under bonnet or e46 16 pin under dash this works on European BM's as our laws on OBD11 came into force much later than in the States therefore all/most of our E36's are OBD1 and its been very difficult to find a code reader to work got this Gunson from Amazon £65.00 free postage believe thats about $100
Are you still happy with the Gunson. I really like my Peake, but as you said they are a bit pricey. I have a friend in Northern Ca wanting to get something. He has a 97 740il and is thinking Gunson if you are still happy with it????
fortunately I have no problems with the car so its only reported NO FAULTS sorry cant be of any more help but im sure it would do what its supposed to do or it would of shown UNABLE TO READ or a sign to that effect